Roller Derby AU
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australian Roller Derby Community Forum

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

How did you decide on your roller derby name?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bumpygritch

How did you decide on your roller derby name? Empty
PostSubject: How did you decide on your roller derby name?   How did you decide on your roller derby name? EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 12:10 pm

I see so many clever names around the place!

How did you come up with them? Do they have to be approved by your league? (sorry for the newbie questions).

I'm not sure I'll when (if) I ever have to come up with a name that I'll be able to be as creative as some of the names I've seen while researching roller derby over the last few weeks.

Back to top Go down
FatLipFanny

FatLipFanny

PostSubject: Re: How did you decide on your roller derby name?   How did you decide on your roller derby name? EmptyThu Oct 13, 2011 1:04 pm

Mine hasn't been approved yet. I found it heaps easier to think of names for everyone else, which was a play on their name. I decided I wanted something different to my real name, and was playing around with old fashioned/pin up type names, and thought Fanny would be a funny one to have. Viola!
Back to top Go down
Ann O'War

Ann O'War

PostSubject: Re: How did you decide on your roller derby name?   How did you decide on your roller derby name? EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 12:30 pm

Choosing a derby name is hard as you're always going to keep thinking of better ones. I suggest saving a list of all the possible derby names that you think of and come back to them after you've been playing for a few months and let the name pick you. Think about your skating and how you play and how your derby name reflects that. I find that combining your interests/hobbies, etc with your name make it a lot easier to think of names also.
My name for example: I like metal and wanted a derby name that when people saw/heard it, they'd know that it was a play on the metal band Manowar's name and make the connection that I'm into metal. Admittedly, I'm not actually a fan of Manowar's music but it worked too well and they are a relatively well-known (power) metal band.

I find that I prefer the derby names that are plays on proper nouns as they are generally the "wittier" names and I really enjoy the derby names that have had a lot of thought go into them.

It took me a while to finally be set in stone with my derby name, but you'll get there! Just make sure you write all your different possible names down. I still have a list of about thirty names saved on my phone that I keep adding to whenever I think of another name. You never know when someone else might need a name!
Back to top Go down
bumpygritch

PostSubject: Re: How did you decide on your roller derby name?   How did you decide on your roller derby name? EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 10:52 pm

I'm hopelessly indecisive at the best of times, so picking a derby name is probably going to kill me!

My kids are "helping" come up with names - based on my favourite movies, stuff I like etc. I'm a bit of a gaming nerd too so there's a few options there with plays on my real name.

I've started keeping a list.

Learning to skate again will be the easy part - the picking of the derby name... not so much! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How did you decide on your roller derby name?   How did you decide on your roller derby name? Empty

Back to top Go down

How did you decide on your roller derby name?
Page 1 of 1